Site Supervisor, Risk Mitigation Major Projects
How you will contribute as part of the TRCA team:
Under the guidance and direction of the Supervisor of Construction Projects, the Site Supervisor, Construction Projects position is responsible for providing field expertise and professional leadership in the delivery of assigned construction projects from early concept to the final stages of implementation and project closeout.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, on-site supervision of construction and maintenance crews and contractors, adhering to project design specifications and approvals, and providing a high level of implementation expertise and experience. Primarily, this includes inspecting and reporting on work performed and completed by TRCA staff and contractors to ensure compliance with all relevant federal, provincial, and municipal laws, acts and regulations, TRCA Policies and Procedures, with a strong focus on health and safety and excellent understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations. In addition, the Site Supervisor is responsible for assisting with budget estimates, the evaluation, coaching, formal training, and development of subordinate staff, and is involved in hiring and allocation and procurement of required resources.
Specific knowledge and experience is required in the implantation of projects that:
- Protect, restore, and enhance natural cover, ecosystem function and wildlife habitat on shorelines, streams, wetlands, valley lands, meadows, and forests;
- Remediate erosion hazards and maintain existing erosion control structures to protect public greenspace, park amenities, and municipal infrastructure; and
- Create and maintain trails and other park amenities to provide optimal public access, use and exploration of natural spaces and green transportation connections.
Overall, this position plays an integral role in the delivery of TRCA projects working toward healthy rivers and shorelines, greenspace and biodiversity, and sustainable communities in TRCA’s jurisdiction.
- Review documents, drawings and plans to assist with providing technical support and expertise prior to implementation to determine constructability issues, existing and potential hazards, required resources, and assist in scheduling
- Attend site meetings with all project stakeholders as assigned throughout various stages of the project and assist with recommendations regarding site constraints, construction methodology, logistics, and Health and Safety concerns
- Ensure all provided project documents including permits, approvals, and Health and Safety documents are up to date and posted on site.
- Provide on-site direction regarding worksite planning, supervision, and coordination of assigned projects focusing on safety, quality control, and efficiency to meet client expectations, design specifications, and project milestones within approved budgets
- Prioritize tasks for assigned staff and direct contractors and suppliers to ensure adherence to contract specifications
- Prepare and maintain concise records associated with project implementation and/or contracts as required including daily site inspections, daily safety checks on vehicles and equipment, health and safety documents, incident reports, site work records and cost ledgers, expenditure reports, and notify Supervisor of any variances from project schedules and budget
- Review daily ‘tailgate safety talks’ with staff that are relevant to changes in type of work and site conditions and take required action to mitigate identified hazards
- Participates in incident reporting process on assigned projects, provide recommendations and ‘lessons learned’
- Participates in construction activities when required including operating and maintaining machinery and equipment, performing and overseeing traffic control, and operating TRCA vehicle.
- Participate in on-site meeting to identify and eliminate deficiencies, and discuss ‘lessons learned’
- Review and update all project-related documentation
- Participate in project close out meetings to review as built drawings and project variances.
- Instruct and ensure staff work in a safe manner; utilize all required health and safety equipment and PPE, and follow all measures and practices in accordance with the OSHA and Corporate Safety policies, procedures, and programs
- Provides input to Supervisor, Construction Projects and participates in the Performance Management Process and adheres to TRCA’s performance management program
- Assist in project coordinating, monitoring, tracking while providing coaching, mentoring, and training to ensure staff have the knowledge, skills, and experience to perform their duties safely and effectively
- Assist in assessing staff needs, recruitment process, and hiring recommendations.
- Assist with the annual assessment of staffing and equipment needs and provide recommendations for new purchases and additional staff complement
- Assist with tracking, allocation, maintenance, and procurement of Construction Services resources including building and yard maintenance
- Direct the public to relevant and appropriate project information and refer detailed questions to Supervisor
- Participate in public and internal conflict resolution
- Performs other duties with departmental, divisional, and/or corporate objectives as assigned
What will you need to succeed:
- Post Secondary Diploma or Degree in Resource Management, Environmental or Engineering Sciences, Construction, or related field, or equivalent combination of knowledge, skill, and experience.
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License.
- Minimum 3-4 years’ experience related to the major tasks, including supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience and technical expertise in the construction of valley and stream protection, habitat restoration, erosion control, bridge/trail construction, and infrastructure protection.
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge and understanding of all relevant federal, provincial, municipal laws, acts and regulations, TRCA Policies and Procedures, and industry standards and their application to major task areas
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
- Ability to interpret design drawings, undertake quantity takeoffs, general site surveying/leveling, and construction layout.
- Demonstrated high level of technical ability in the safe operation and maintenance of all vehicles and equipment related to relevant projects.
- Good computer skills (MS Office).
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, with proven leadership and ability to train, motivate, and coach staff in a project and team environment.
- Demonstrated supervisory and leadership skills and a strong understanding of safe work around heavy equipment.
- Able to plan and organize with minimal direction.
What TRCA has to offer you:
As part of a progressive team you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact to preserving and protecting nature, while maintaining a balance between the natural environment and built environment. Working with experts within our field, you will join a team of colleagues that are committed to TRCA’s core values of integrity, collaboration, accountability, respect, and excellence (icare).
You will be part of a diverse and inclusive organization that:
- Makes a positive difference in the communities we serve.
- Fosters high performance and collaborative teams.
- Provides continuous learning and development opportunities.
- Offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits program (including Defined Benefit Pension Plan – OMERS/OTPP).
- Provides unique TRCA Perks.
- Provides flexible work arrangements.
- Offers potential for career growth and advancement.
- Type de paie Salaire
- Indicateur d'emploi Permanent Full-Time
- Taux min. à l'embauche 77 153,00 $
- Taux max. à l'embauche 83 646,00 $
- Déplacement requis Oui
- Études requises Baccalauréat
- 9741 Canada Company Ave, Vaughan, ON L4H 2V2, Canada