Energy Engineer in Training
Role At A Glance
Reporting to the ECS Team Leader, The EIT will work under the supervision of the Intermediate and Senior Engineers within the ECS team. The EIT will follow ASHRAE, NECB, CaGBC, PassiveHouse, IPMVP, and other relevant guidelines to complete building energy audits, engineering feasibility studies, energy modelling, measurement and verification reports, and detailed engineering studies in addition to developing in this exciting and growing business sector.
In the Energy and Carbon Solutions (ECS) team, we base project success on the value and experience our clients have obtained through the project journey. We understand the impact we can have on our clients and global community is long-term, and we take that to heart. In alignment with our core value of environmental sustainability, we are passionate about the opportunities we uncover and are always proud to see each of our projects implemented. ECS was founded on the principles of understanding our clients, developing practical solutions to achieve desired energy and greenhouse gas outcomes, and supporting through implementation. We see ourselves as primary drivers to supporting the parallel global climate goal initiatives and economic growth.
Our primary service offerings in ECS include but are not limited to:
- Energy and GHG Feasibility Studies
- Energy and GHG Audits
- Energy and GHG Planning
- Economic and Financial Analysis
- Sustainable Project Consultant (ex. CaGBCZero Carbon)
- Measurement and Verification
- Energy and Carbon Modeling
You’ll Enjoy This Role If
- You are relentless in your pursuit to be the best.
- You are a big picture thinker who understands how to effectively listen to clients and build consensus.
- You sweat the details in your commitment to meet our client’s high expectations.
- You embrace progressive change, out-of-the-box thinking, and working in a high-energy environment.
- You are proactive, constant, and consistent with your communication to both our client and our project team.
What You Will Do
- Preliminary analysis of utility data.
- Benchmarking against similar facilities.
- Site investigation and survey.
- Interviewing operational staff.
- Auditing the operating procedures for the existing mechanical and electrical equipment (with a focus on HVAC)
- Analyzing and modelling the current operation of equipment, proposed energy and carbon conservation measures, through use of engineering calculations and energy modelling software.
- Energy and carbon modeling (both embodied and operational) whole buildings in compliance with CaGBCZero Carbon, Toronto Green Standard, and other relevant standards.
- Assessing where and how energy is consumed throughout a facility.
- Installing monitoring equipment to collect energy consumption data.
- Investigating alternative energy saving opportunities and capital projects.
- Analyzing the economic viability of more capital-intensive measures.
- Generating graphics and tables for our report submissions.
- Preliminary drafting of reports.
What You Bring to the Table
- Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or Sustainability.
- Registration with the Ontario Engineering Society and pursuit of the P.Eng. designation.
- Previous experience with an engineering consulting firm is an asset.
- Familiarity with building codes and low carbon standards (e.g.CaGBCZero Carbon, PassiveHouse, etc.) is an asset.
- Working knowledge of MS Excel.
- Working knowledge of energy modelling, heat transfer, fluid mechanics and thermodynamics is essential.
- Effective communication with attention to detail.
- A passion for sustainability and lower carbon in our society.
Life at WalterFedy
As one of Southwestern Ontario’s leading integrated architecture, engineering, and construction firms, WalterFedy and our sister company, AEC, both play a leading role in shaping the way our communities feel and function – it’s an amazing responsibility.
Our ambition goes beyond great design – we’re here to enhance the world around us. To make it happen, we need a team of agile, ambitious, and big-picture thinkers who share our drive to harness our collective talents to do something bigger.
Our team is made up of the industry's best. We share a common commitment to question the ordinary, infuse everything we do with creativity, and challenge our industry to redefine what’s possible.
Join us as we move past working for a living, and toward building better communities with smart, influential design.
How to Apply
Please apply here by using the link at the top of this page with your resume and cover letter. You will be redirected to our internal application platform.
WalterFedy strives to create a culture of inclusivity and diversity. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including those from groups traditionally underrepresented in the workforce. We are committed to equal opportunity hiring practice and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, creed, national origin, citizenship, status, age, sex, gender identity/expression, marital or domestic partnership status, or disability.
Should you require accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-576-2150.
Thank you for your interest in WalterFedy!
- Job Family Engineer
- Pay Type Salary
- Hamilton, ON, Canada
- Kitchener, ON, Canada
- Toronto, ON, Canada