Information Security Engineer
7000 Pine Valley Dr, Vaughan, ON L4L 4Y8, Canada ● Virtual Req #985
Monday, January 10, 2022
You were made to save animals, we take care of the rest. Founded in 2006, VetStrategy is Canada’s largest operator of veterinary hospitals and clinics. The company operates over 340 hospitals and clinics across Canada and employs over 5,500, dedicated veterinary professionals. VetStrategy has undergone a tremendous amount of growth and continues to grow at a rapid pace. Our business model is simple; we work with our veterinary partners to acquire ownership in veterinary hospitals, and then help in the management of these practices. This allows the medical team to focus on practicing first-rate medicine, and allows the clinic’s staff, clients, and patients to benefit from experienced business operators and managers.
Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, the Information Security Engineer is a hands-on cyber security subject matter expert that will help deliver predominantly new Microsoft-based security capabilities into VetStrategy.
The successful candidate will independently research Microsoft capabilities, propose security improvements and manage the successful delivery of these improvements. In addition, the Information Security Engineer will define and document security procedures, participate in incident response activities and provide security subject matter expertise to business projects.
- The subject matter expert for VetStrategy Cyber Security
- Lead cyber-security threat identification, response and recovery
- Own and implement technical security improvements to assist in the detection, prevention, and analysis of security threats
- Complete Monthly Security KPI reporting
- Researching, scoping, and deploying Microsoft Security Products
- Configuring and maintaining security products and tools in the Cyber-security team portfolio
- Identifying and implementing technical security controls to improve the security posture of VetStrategy
- Be responsible for remediation planning and implementation in response to security audits and assessments
- Supporting security Incident identification, response and recovery
- Supporting security awareness and education activities
- Supporting PCI activities
- Participate in, and at times lead Security projects to implement new processes and technologies
- Assist in planning and execution of annual DR tests for all existing systems
- Support the planning and supervision of annual penetration tests of all in-scope systems.
- Operate a schedule of vulnerability scans
- Ensure knowledge is shared and there are no human single points of failure
Background, Experience and Qualifications
- Several years’ experience in a range of Microsoft-centric roles
- Experience managing:
- Microsoft Active Directory / Azure AD
- Group Policy / Intune
- Microsoft Firewalls and Always-on VPN
- Endpoint DLP solutions
- Anti-virus/anti-malware software
- Deep understanding of Microsoft Cloud-based security tools
- Experience using PowerShell to automate common management tasks
- Threat and vulnerability assessment and the use of industry standard tools
- Experience in cyber incident management and investigation
- Knowledge of risk assessment tools and methodologies
- Experience of Firewall management (preferably next gen / app-aware appliances)
- Experience of Data breach management
- Understanding / Experience of implementing Cyber Essentials Plus certification
- Understanding of / experience with PCI DSS
- Basic understanding of the following networking technologies:
- LAN Addressing
- Public IP routing
- WAN and replication technologies
- Email transport protocols
- Secure networking principles
- Exposure to non-Microsoft Public Clouds (AWS, GCP)
- Security +
- Azure Security Engineer
- M365 Security Engineer
- Good communication skills across all levels of the business – able to succinctly communicate security improvements
- Strong planning and time management skills
- Proficient problem solver who can engage the business at all levels, manage ambiguity and implement improvements
- Ability to communicate complex information to non-technical audience
- Ability to deliver under pressure
- Highly motivated, action-oriented, and results driven with a positive ‘can do’ attitude
- Extremely high-energy, tenacious, and lots of ‘hustle’
- Collaborative, and comfortable in a team-oriented environment
- Comfortable working outside of core working hours when necessary to complete the task in hand
- Comfortable working in a pet friendly environment
Our Ideal Candidate possesses the following Cultural Competencies:
We are Relationship Focused!
- In every interaction with the hospitals, we build and maintain personal connections and trust. All relationships matter regardless of different levels, functions, cultures or geography.
- Different perspectives are encouraged as we look for the best way to do things. We collaborate with the hospitals and one another to ensure that all work is in the best interest of the hospital and takes into account the unique needs of each location. We are externally focused on our hospitals rather than only internally focused on our processes.
We Speak the Truth!
- We are honest and transparent. We can question or challenge without fear of negative repercussions. We support one another and take responsibility for ourselves.
We are Humble!
- We’re all in this together. There is no room for ego or hierarchy mentality here. We are unpretentious and approachable. We support and appreciate one another. We regularly seek feedback without defensiveness. We reflect on our activities and the impact we have on others.
We Take Care of the Rest!
- We view everything we do through the lens of the hospitals. We seek to understand first. Every decision we make is based on impact to patient care, client service, and hospitals teams. We do what’s best for the hospitals not just Home Office.
Do not miss out on this unique opportunity to join a fun and dynamic team! VetStrategy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you require accommodation, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pay Type Salary
- 7000 Pine Valley Dr, Vaughan, ON L4L 4Y8, Canada