Current Rate of Pay: Min = $23.91, Max= $25.92
Employment type: Short Term Contract
Hours of work: 40hrs/week
Duration of Employment: May to September 8, 2022
Work location: Kortright Center for Conservation
Division: Education and Training
Business unit: Kortright Programs
Remote Work: None
With more than 60 years of experience, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is one of 36 Conservation Authorities in Ontario, created to safeguard and enhance the health and well-being of watershed communities through the protection and restoration of the natural environment and the ecological services the environment provides.
TRCA works to protect the integrity and health of the rivers and creeks in the jurisdiction, develop a system of green and natural spaces that sustains local ecosystems, and advance sustainable practices that improve people’s lives within our growing region.
How you will contribute as part of the TRCA team:
The Education Interpreter supports and delivers hands-on environmental, cultural heritage, nature, recreation, and renewable energy programs (dependent on location) to visitors and visitor groups of TRCA/partner sites and facilities, as well potentially at client sites.
The Education Interpreter plays an active role in customer service ensuring all visitors and external clients have a positive experience.
Perform the following tasks under general supervision:
Guides and leads visitors and visitor groups to TRCA’s sites and facilities on established programs focused on environmental, cultural heritage, nature and recreation
- Learns program content to be able to effectively deliver interactive programs to various audiences.
- Ensures program equipment/supplies are well maintained, clean and appropriately stored.
- Provides support in program development, from time to time, by sharing knowledge of the content.
- Delivers programs at offsite locations (libraries, community fairs, etc.) as needed, ensuring that all supplies are transported and returned appropriately.
- Follows all safety policies, operating procedures and guidelines as outlined in TRCA Safety Procedures.
What will you need to succeed:
- Actively pursuing or possess a post-secondary degree/diploma in a related field.
- Active and current First Aid and CPR certificate.
- Successful completion of a Vulnerable Sector Screening is required.
- Valid G Class Driver’s License in good standing and own vehicle.
- Experience working with large groups in delivering programs and activities required.
- Previous experience delivering environmental, nature or historical programs.
- Strong public speaking and communication skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Ability to deliver programs to audiences of various ages, adapting style to ensure audience appropriateness.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative within a set of guidelines and procedures, and to take direction and notes when given.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Willingness to wear uniform.
What TRCA has to offer you:
As part of a progressive team you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact to preserving and protecting nature, while maintaining a balance between the natural environment and built environment. Working with experts within our field, you will join a team of colleagues that are committed to TRCA’s core values of integrity, collaboration, accountability, respect, and excellence (icare).
You will be part of a diverse and inclusive organization that:
- Makes a positive difference in the communities we serve.
- Fosters high performance and collaborative teams.
- Provides continuous learning and development opportunities.
- Offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits program (including Defined Benefit Pension Plan – OMERS/OTPP).
- Provides unique TRCA Perks.
- Provides flexible work arrangements.
- Offers potential for career growth and advancement.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting TRCA-173-22 prior to midnight on May 20, 2022.
All new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as a precondition to being hired by TRCA. TRCA will comply with its obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code and any other applicable legislation.
While the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised that successful incumbent(s) may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector screening and/or driver’s abstract check as a part of the final step in the hiring process.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA Policies, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the TRCA. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.
Personal information you provide through the TRCA recruitment, selection and onboarding process is collected under the authority of the Conservation Authorities Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.27. Collection of this personal information is necessary for the proper administration of this recruitment process for employment and volunteer positions with TRCA. Personal information is protected from disclosure pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Any questions regarding this collection activity should be directed to the Supervisor of Records, 101 Exchange Avenue, Vaughan, Ontario, L4K 5R6, (416) 661-6600 extension 5216.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Temporary Contract
- Min Hiring Rate $23.91
- Max Hiring Rate $25.92
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Kortright, 9550 Pine Valley Drive, Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada