Custodian, Lake St. George Center
Current Rate of Pay: Min = $20.46/hr, Max = $22.18/hr
Employment type: Temporary Contract
Duration of employment: 1 Year
Hours of work: Variable
Work location: Lake St. George Center
Division: Education and Training
Business unit: Education and Training
Remote Work: None
With more than 60 years of experience, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is one of 36 Conservation Authorities in Ontario, created to safeguard and enhance the health and well-being of watershed communities through the protection and restoration of the natural environment and the ecological services the environment provides.
TRCA works to protect the integrity and health of the rivers and creeks in the jurisdiction, develop a system of green and natural spaces that sustains local ecosystems, and advance sustainable practices that improve people’s lives within our growing region.
How you will contribute as part of the TRCA team:
Under the direction of the supervisor of the facility, the custodian is responsible for providing a comprehensive delivery of cleaning
s overnight, educational programs for youth and adults, weekdays and weekends throughout the calendar year, summer camps and public programs.
To provide a procedure to ensure all public facilities, including washrooms, common areas, operations buildings and offices are to be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition. Staff must adhere to the following inspections criteria for maintaining washroom buildings to ensure washroom facilities are to be maintained in a manner that is consistent with public expectations.
BUILDING - Common Areas, Bedrooms-Stair Wells, Kitchenette, Closets
- Building Entrance- Sweep paved or stone entrance ways to remove gravel or grass build up. Empty garbage cans.
- Building Exterior- Sweep walls, doors, and under eaves to remove dirt, spider webs etc.
- Garbage Can/Recycle/Compost Bins-Containers to be emptied on a regular basis. Replace garbage bag. Clean can/bins with disinfectant or germicide cleaning solution as required.
- Light Fixtures- Visual check. Clean as required. Remove cobwebs and/or insects. Replace bulbs as required. Report electrical defects to Supervisor.
- Corners/Baseboard- Should be kept free of dirt dust and dirty marks.
- Handrail- Maintain in clean condition. Clean using disinfectant or germicide cleaning solution.
- Doors- Keep free of all washable finger marks, smudges and dirt. Clean push plates or pull handle using disinfectant or germicide cleaning solution.
- Walls- Clean as required. Maintain in clean condition, free of cobwebs, finger marks and smudges
- Ceiling- Clean as required. Maintain in clean condition, free of cobwebs, finger marks and smudges.
- Windows- Maintain in clean condition. Keep free of all washable finger marks and smudges.
- Floor- Each visit: Sweep. Keep free of litter. Clean/mop floor using disinfectant or germicide cleaning solution. Scrub areas in front of toilets thoroughly.
- Shelving- Clean using disinfectant or germicide cleaning solution.
- Mattresses-After each visit; clean using disinfectant or germicide cleaning solution.
- Carpets-Vacuum daily, steam clean as needed.
- Daily, check AED to ensure it is functional.
- Check daily chlorine residuals on taps (training provided).
- Check temperature and adjust for group as needed.
- Change lightbulbs and re-set clocks as needed.
WASHROOMS - Washrooms are to be cleaned and inspected daily as a minimum during operating season.
- Toilets-Clean seat (both sides) and bowl inside and outside using disinfectant or germicidal cleaning solution. Plugged toilets to be cleared immediately. Descale as required. If plumbing work is required, notify supervisor
- Urinals- Clean inside and out using disinfectant or germicide cleaning solution. Descale as required. Drains to be cleared immediately. If plumbing work is required, notify supervisor.
- Taps/Faucets/ Vanities/ Counter Tops/ Mirrors/Grab Bars/ Wash Basins /- Clean using disinfectant or germicide cleaning solution.
- Toilet Tissue/ Toilet Tissue Holder- Supply and replenish with proper size of toilet paper. Clean using germicidal cleaning solution. Keep free of all washable marks
- Sanitary Napkin Bins- Emptied daily and wipe down using disinfectant or germicide cleaning solution as required.
- Stall Partitions- Clean using disinfectant or germicide cleaning solution. Keep free of all washable finger marks.
- Hand Dryers- Maintain exterior in clean condition. Care to avoid soaking hand dryers.
- Soap Dispensers- Supply and replenish. Dispensers to be fully operational. If service is required, notify supervisor. Clean as required with disinfectant or germicide cleaning solution.
- Showers Stalls/Tubs- Clean all surfaces after each visit, using a disinfectant or germicide cleaning solution. Shower curtains to be machine washed every 2 weeks.
- Light grounds maintenance could include clearing entrances and walkways in winter, gardening, pruning, trimming in summer.
- Sweep and clean outdoor program areas (ie deck) as required.
- Laundry-wash curtains/shower mats/blankets and program supplies as required
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What will you need to succeed:
- High school graduate
- TRCA Orientation; AODA; Safety 24-7
- Understanding the use of chemicals and cleaning equipment.
- Follow prescribed protocols and safety policies and procedures.
- Good customer service skills, attention to detail and a strong commitment to safety.
What TRCA has to offer you:
As part of a progressive team you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact to preserving and protecting nature, while maintaining a balance between the natural environment and built environment. Working with experts within our field, you will join a team of colleagues that are committed to TRCA’s core values of integrity, collaboration, accountability, respect, and excellence (icare).
You will be part of a diverse and inclusive organization that:
- Makes a positive difference in the communities we serve.
- Fosters high performance and collaborative teams.
- Provides continuous learning and development opportunities.
- Offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits program (including Defined Benefit Pension Plan – OMERS/OTPP).
- Provides unique TRCA Perks.
- Provides flexible work arrangements.
- Offers potential for career growth and advancement.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting TRCA-144-22 prior to midnight on June 26, 2022.
All new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as a precondition to being hired by TRCA. TRCA will comply with its obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code and any other applicable legislation.
While the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised that successful incumbent(s) may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector screening and/or driver’s abstract check as a part of the final step in the hiring process.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA Policies, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the TRCA. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.
Personal information you provide through the TRCA recruitment, selection and onboarding process is collected under the authority of the Conservation Authorities Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.27. Collection of this personal information is necessary for the proper administration of this recruitment process for employment and volunteer positions with TRCA. Personal information is protected from disclosure pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Any questions regarding this collection activity should be directed to the Supervisor of Records, 101 Exchange Avenue, Vaughan, Ontario, L4K 5R6, (416) 661-6600 extension 5216.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Temporary Contract
- Min Hiring Rate $20.46
- Max Hiring Rate $22.18
- Travel Required No
- Required Education High School
- Lake St George, 950 Bethesda Side Road, Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada