Electrical Project Coordinator
A LITTLE ABOUT US
We have invested a great deal of time debating, shaping and identifying why we exist as a company and who we are as a team. It is critical to us, even non-negotiable, that new people who join our team are excited and committed to our way of doing business and share specific core values.
Ryfan celebrated it’s 40th birthday in 2019, so we are a seasoned and experienced company. However, as we mature we are ready to take our next step forward. Here’s what that looks like to us:
Our vision is to transform the MEP construction industry. The industry is ripe for innovation, and we want to move to the frontier of that development.
Our mission is maximizing customer value through relentless process improvement. Process improvement not only delivers cost-savings to our customers, but it enhances their experience with us.
Our passion is building something great. Of course, we deliver exceptional services but we also strive to build great teams, relationships and communities.
Our niche is unconventional projects. Cookie-cutter projects aren’t really our market. If a project is weird, innovative, logistically complicated, remote, or any of those, it’s probably right in our niche.
Last but never least, there are three “uniques” that make us stand out:
First, we invest in and help create exceptional employees. Not only do we want you to build a career with Ryfan, we want to help you build a great life.
Second, we are leading practitioners of productivity improvement methods, tools and techniques. If there is a better way to do it, we want to be first in. We never tire of making improvements.
Last, we take leading edge construction techniques to unique or underserved markets. We go into markets where our competitors may be deterred by the challenges. We enjoy success whether others fear risk because we are seasoned and experienced.
The reality is, we can’t achieve our Mission without the right people on board. It is critical to us that everyone on the Ryfan team naturally share these core values:
We build community. What we build is not great unless it creates value for the community. The value is larger than the project itself if it incorporates the legacy of our interactions in the communities in which we work and live; includes the way we engage with customers, consultants, other trades and suppliers; encompasses how we teach, learn and grow as a team on-site, in the office and everywhere in between; and involves working to create more winners (“more pie for everyone”) instead of focusing only on winning (“biggest piece of the pie for us”). We embrace abundant thinking and reject a scarcity mentality. We avoid blame or fault-finding and we work relentlessly toward solutions.
We earn trust. Communities are formed through relationships and relationships are built upon a foundation of trust. We strive to earn and be worthy of the faith placed in us by those with whom we work and interact. We do this by saying what we mean, meaning what we say, and doing what we say we are going to do.
We pursue excellence. To earn trust we must be realistic about our capabilities and committed to always sharpening and expanding them. We understand that excellence is not a fixed point, but rather a path or way of doing things. We are steadfast in our pursuit of continuous improvement.
Be fearless. We champion courage to seek out flaws in our methods and push for further enhancements in our performance. We are fearless in our willingness to see ourselves objectively and in our openness to constructive coaching.
We practice discipline. We strive to convert experience into wisdom in a disciplined way. We acquire knowledge from others and incorporate “best practice” or “leading practice” into our work. We share and use our hard-won learning with the rest of our team. In this way we grow, develop and evolve the Ryfan Way.
We celebrate success. We take the time to celebrate our moments of greatness, the instances of excellence, the acquisition of wisdom, the attainment of a bond of trust, and the warmth of community. Celebration is the spark and fuel that rekindles our drive to pursue our passion of building something great.
Operations, all locations (full-time)
This position reports to the Director of Operations and indirectly to the Project Managers.
As part of the Operations team, you support planning, logistics (ex. travel) and administrative requirements of projects. You support the Director of Operations and all Project Managers as well as collaborate closely with the Project Accountants in Corporate Services.
accountabilities & responsibilities
Project Coordinators fulfill the following accountabilities and responsibilities:
Project On- and Off-Boarding
- Review the project contracts to assess and plan for administrative support requirements such as holdbacks, reporting (incl. safety), required clearances, security requirements, etc.;
- Prepare Administrative Project schedules and checklists to support the project’s schedule and deliverables, including project/field reporting and tracking procedures, project safety reporting requirements, and support the project team in complying with them;
- Maintain paper and electronic project files;
- Establish or set-up project structure and control systems, prime contracts, and coding structures within Corecon;
- Identify and plan for how to execute anticipated labour needs (ex. tasks to be completed) in accordance with the project schedule, and identify pre-employment or on-boarding requirements such as drug testing, security clearances and so forth;
- Develop and maintain the field safety binders, project binders and requirement lists;
- Collaboratively develop and utilize project templates including labour reporting (time cards, daily logs), shipping labels, and so forth;
- Actively participate in kick-off and close-out meetings;
- Prepare and issue final clearance letters to the customers;
- Verify that all punch-list items are signed off, and that inspection reports are requested, completed and closed (in development);
- Support the Project Managers in scheduling and coordinating project activities including resources, equipment and labour, and validate as necessary to ensure the project is on-track;
- Support the Project Manager in the procurement of materials and equipment for each project in accordance with the approved budget, requirements and schedule;
- Confirm terms of employment for the specific project (ex. living allowances, travel allowances, etc.) and ensure appropriate procedures are in place to support;
- Support thorough hiring and onboarding processes for employees new to the project/company in collaboration with the Corporate Services team;
- Book flights, accommodations and vehicle rentals for on-site teams in accordance with the project schedule and fluctuating needs, and inform all affected people;
- Verify security and medical clearances are confirmed with the site, and arrange site access for field teams;
- Arrange necessary project-specific training for field teams, including collaboration with the Safety team. For example, work with Corporate Services to schedule on-site or local safety training;
- Maintain turnaround and travel schedules in collaboration with the Project Manager;
- In collaboration with other teams, manage documentation (ensure accuracy, completeness and timeliness) for major tools, equipment and rentals sent to site, and contribute to a control system to track them and ensure their timely return;
- In collaboration with the Corporate Services team and other stakeholders, confirm that the team has required training certificates particularly for specialized tasks and make recommendations to the Project Manager and other stakeholders regarding potential lapses.
Contract & Financial Support
- Record and maintain records of meeting minutes as needed;
- Update daily in Corecon all field productivity measures, and follow up with missing or incomplete data;
- Verify that sub-contractor requirements are satisfied including WCB/WSCC clearance certificates, certificates of insurance, site safety requirements, etc.;
- File timecards from the field teams in the project filing system if applicable. Review timecards for accuracy and completeness, and follow up on late, missing or erroneous timecards;
- Understand billing and invoicing procedures, and comply with the same;
- Maintain tracking systems for “Construction Put in Place” and “Earned Value Against Budget”;
- Update the Project Schedule (including the Labour Schedule and Sub-Contractor Schedule) on a weekly basis to reflect completed work;
- Maintain the timely accuracy of all data in the project management systems including Corecon;
- If applicable, implement and maintain RFI tracking and processing in Corecon;
- Oversee all administrative aspects of change orders including proper coding, document control and change requests (including updating budgets and schedules), and updated customer invoicing;
- Document approved changes to contracts or change orders;
- Verify and enter timely project data including time cards, supplier and subcontractor invoices, and others.
Operations & Maintenance (O&M)
- Implement and maintain the submittal and transmittal tracking and processing systems;
- Coordinate with the Estimating team as necessary to ensure projects reflect updated pricing (ex. shop supplies);
- Create and issue purchase orders for material and equipment purchases/rentals;
- From sub-contractors and suppliers, compile submittals, manuals, warranty information and shop drawings as needed;
- Track delivery dates and forecast potential issues and opportunities;
- Develop and maintain O&M Manuals in accordance with the customer’s specifications;
- Complete LMEs as required;
- Document and file commissioning and testing reports, customers’ acceptance of O&M submissions, etc.
Nimble Project Team Support
- File, scan, email and fax project documentation as required by the project’s squad;
- Regularly update the Director of Operations, Project Managers and Field Supervisors on the project and team’s successes and make recommendations for improvement;
- Provide ongoing administrative support to the Director of Operations, Project Managers, Field Supervisors and Field Teams as needed;
- Contribute to the development of team-wide policies, procedures, processes and standards to simplify, streamline and standardize work;
- If applicable, implement and maintain the Field Work Order system in Corecon;
- Maintain drawing logs in the project filing system;
- Using timely information from the Project Manager, create and distribute Field Installation Work Packages (or Field Work Orders) as required;
- Generate and maintain the currency of Open Work Order logs on a bi-weekly basis. Follow-up with the field team regarding missing, incomplete or inaccurate work orders;
- Generate bi-weekly subcontractor reports (project-related) to ensure timely completion of open sub-contracts.
Like all job descriptions, your accountabilities and responsibilities will evolve over time to support Ryfan’s goals, project needs and your individual growth. As a result, you should expect your job description to change from time to time.
required qualifications, experience & education
Project Coordinators possess the following or comparable qualifications, experience and education:
- A high school diploma is a minimum requirement;
- 2-5 years of project administration experience working with complex projects ($7-10M);
- Demonstrated success in project delivery and execution of project management methods; and
- Intermediate experience with Corecon.
Project Coordinators possess the following skills:
- Intermediate to advanced skills using Excel, Word and other programs in Microsoft Office;
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities and deadlines;
- Effective negotiation, diplomatic, and conflict resolution skills;
- Advanced interpersonal, team building, leadership and organizational skills. You are committed to supporting and developing your colleagues;
- Able to effectively communicate with all types of staff, including technical, professional, and all levels of management;
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments and squads, key managers, and other stakeholders.
In addition to living our Core Values daily, as a Project Coordinator you demonstrate these job-specific competencies:
- Attention to Detail: You pay attention to every fine detail. You think about what is required in order to achieve the project’s outcomes, and ensure it is complete to a high standard;
- Timeliness: Deadlines are critical, and you are willing to put in the time and effort necessary to get the work done exceptionally well;
- Planning & Organizing: You develop, implement and adjust plans to reach goals, while ensuring the optimal use of resources. You are highly detail-oriented and hold yourself and others accountable to the plan;
- Problem Solving: You identify problems and the solutions to them. Your solutions enhance the organization not merely the task at hand;
- Results Driven: You organize time, work and resources to accomplish objectives in the most effective and efficient way. You take the time to prepare a risk-adjusted project plan with your team before starting and you can adapt the plan on the fly as necessary. You are equally comfortable with the day-to-day project details and the big picture.
- Team Leadership: You build strong teams by collaborating with all stakeholders and helping others achieve excellent results. You recognize how you and your team fits into the Ryfan family as a whole.
This position is paid in accordance with the Compensation Policy. This position is a 1.0 FTE. Overtime or on-call work may be occasionally required.
This position may be subject to the following pre-employment conditions:
Criminal record check; and
- Driver’s abstract check; and
- Department of National Defence Security Clearances.
Even though you may not be the successful applicant for this posting, those who have demonstrated Ryfan Values will be added to our Talent Pool to be considered for future postings.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $50,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $70,000.00
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 10
- Required Education High School
- Job Start Date Monday, August 22, 2022
- 485 South Ave, Spruce Grove, AB T7X 2E9, Canada