Senior Full Stack Developer
Meet Fresh Prep—Western Canada’s most convenient and sustainable meal kit delivery service.
As a certified B Corporation, we make convenient eating healthy and sustainable for the communities we operate in. We source quality local ingredients whenever possible, and deliver in reusable, recyclable and compostable packaging. We offer 10 chef-created meal kit recipes each week, with options for many lifestyles and preferences including vegetarian and vegan.
Fresh Prep has been selected as one of 2022 BC’s Top Employers and ranked #38 in the Globe and Mail’s 2021 Canada's Top Growing Companies List.
Who You Are
- Self Starter. You are comfortable owning a task from start to finish and you take the initiative to make continuous process improvements. You observe strict deadlines and hold yourself accountable for your deliverables.
- Collaborative Team Player. You are motivated by collaborative team task achievement and driving a results-oriented culture.
- Strong communicator: Your verbal and written communication skills allow you to get results across easily and quickly, in a friendly and professional manner.
- Adaptable. You thrive in a changing environment and are able to pivot direction easily.
What You'll Be Doing
Help us create scalable, maintainable code to facilitate the shipping of our click and cook solutions. We want to grow faster, deliver quicker, and adapt to new shifts in the market.
We are a small but diverse development team looking for open and collaborative people who have the skills to help us deliver value to all of our internal and customer facing programs. We are responsible for all aspects for the entire digital experience including sign up, food production, fulfillment and support.
As a vertically integrated company, our software stack powers more than just the customer end. You will gain experience working in collaboration with food production and engineering teams to deploy automated tools that are used to solve large scale tasks. Feedback loops for both positive and negative aspects are quick and you will be able to see your solutions being used by your peers.
Successful candidates will also participate in planning, and engage in discussion of product roadmaps, new features and fixes. Developers are responsible for performing peer code reviews, participating in team retrospectives, and diagnosing, testing and reproducing bugs issues.
What We Are Looking For
This full stack developer brings their experience, knowledge and open communication skills together to find solutions that help and provide value to peers and customers.
- You are articulate. You have strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills. Even better, you practice empathy in all spheres.
- You understand the importance of details. You don’t sweat the small stuff and thrive in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, yet you have a keen ability to recognize nuance.
- You are team-oriented. You understand the importance of a positive attitude, you are always seeking personal and professional growth and you are always there to lend a hand.
- Solid understanding of a backend backend frameworks like Ruby on Rails, Node.js
- Familiarity with MVC, JAMstack and RESTful
- Ability to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Able to create database schemas that represent and support business processes using Postgres
- Confident with UNIX command line
- Comfortable writing tests - RSpec
- Solid experience and understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Over 4 years of experience building full stack applications
- Building progressive Web applications
- Agile development experience
- Database administration
- DevOps concepts like Continuous Integration and Configuration management
- Container orchestration: Kubernetes, Docker
- Test automation
What You Can Expect
- An inclusive, fun workplace filled with fantastic colleagues. We’re a certified B-Corporation and our team is passionate about making a positive difference (and also about food!)
- The ability to work from home or from our HQ located in beautiful East Vancouver
- Competitive pay and bonuses, as well as the opportunity to participate in our Employee Stock Option Plan.
- Comprehensive health benefits (including medical, dental, vision and life-insurance) after 90 days of successful employment.
- Free food! A Fresh Prep meal plan for 2 meals per week and sample meals from our test kitchen at our HQ!
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
Fresh Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and prohibit discrimination of any kind. We value diversity at our company and at all job levels our goal is to be diverse, inclusive and representative of the communities we operate in. We endeavour to recruit, develop and retain the best talent from a diverse candidate pool and truly believe that diversity, equity and inclusion among our team members is vital to our success as a company. We trust that in applying for a role with us you value this as well!
- Pay Type Salary
- Calgary, AB, Canada
- Vancouver, BC, Canada