Site Animator (Nature Play, Contract)
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
The Site Animator will utilize their unique strengths to bring our on-site family-based programming to life for audiences of all ages and abilities. The Site Animator will primarily be responsible for the planning and delivery of Evergreen’s Public Nature Play program. They will welcome visitors to the space and help facilitate safe, place-based activities, as well as provide support for a range of other site-based special events and projects as required. Site Animators thrive in a dynamic community-based outdoor setting, are mature team-players and strong communicators who believe in the power of community programming, outdoor play and nature connection in transforming people’s lives.
- Support experiential outdoor public programming, primarily nature and gardening-based activities for families and children, which includes Children’s Garden Nature Play, Summer Nights, and Birthday Parties.
- Assist with special events and other projects or activations outside of Nature Play, as required, including but not limited to supporting Markets, Community nights, Workshops, and staff training
- Responsible for set up, take down, proper storage and maintenance of programming materials, permaculture gardens and infrastructure.
- Demonstrate safe use of simple gardening tools
- Support staff debriefs and safety checks, provide detailed feedback and evaluation of programs, and effectively document and communicate any concerns to supervisor.
- Provide a fun, welcoming and safe experience for the general public, participants and others according to Evergreen policies, procedures and training.
- Ensure smooth and safe programming experiences by coordinating and communicating with the events and facilities team as necessary. Contribute to positive workplace culture and great internal communication
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection
You excel in the following areas:
- Customer-focused. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not slip through the cracks.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Demonstrate passion and excitement over work. Display a can-do attitude.
You have the following qualifications:
- 1-2 years of relevant experience in outdoor play-based programming or gardening with proven experience working with children and families.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service or community engagement experience.
- Knowledge of local biodiversity, gardening/stewardship and permaculture principles considered an asset.
- Current standard first aid & CPR training, or willingness to obtain.
- Excellent conflict-resolution, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Comfortable working outdoors and in all weather conditions.
- Current successful vulnerable sector police reference check, or willingness to obtain.
- Background in Environmental Studies, Education, or similar fields considered an asset.
- This position may be funded by Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ), which requires candidates be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment. Meeting these criteria considered an asset.
- Supervised by: Program Manager
- This position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brickworks in Toronto
- Requires regular on-the-ground presence and interaction with the public in adherence with City and Provincial COVID-19 guidelines and regulations
- Outdoor work, in all weather conditions.
- Variable hours from Wednesday-Sunday, up to 24 hours/week.
- Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: At Evergreen we are committed to doing what we can to keep our employees, volunteers, and visitors safe and healthy during the current pandemic. We believe that an important part of this effort is to ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For more information, please see our COVID-19 Guide.
- Casual, part time, contract (end date December 2022) with possibility of extension
- Hourly Rate: $18.00/hour
Application Close Date: Tuesday, May 31st, 2022
*Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.*
Evergreen encourages applications from all backgrounds. To achieve our mission, we rely on the unique experiences and viewpoints of our staff, volunteers, and partners. We understand that diverse perspectives require an inclusive culture in order to thrive - a culture that is respectful and welcoming to all. We are committed to creating a place of inclusion for employees, candidates, volunteers, partners and visitors of all backgrounds, ages, religions, races, gender identities, gender identities, physical abilities or sexual orientations; a place where one can be their whole self, and where that whole self feels celebrated.
If you require accommodation for the recruitment process please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest in working with us.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Toronto, ON, Canada