Environment and Remedial Works - Protected Areas Youth Ambassador
The Protected Areas Youth Ambassador will act as a role model for Cree youth and as a spokesperson for nature, speaking on behalf of protected areas in Eeyou Istchee. The incumbent will work closely with the Challenge Fund Administrator and the Conservation Program Officer, to implement a promotional summer tour and will be responsible for creating exciting, fun, and imaginative social media content aimed inspiring Cree Youth to discover the land and cultural heritage of the Cree Nation.
- Serve as a youth representative to promote protected areas at relevant community and entity events.
- Work with the Challenge Fund Administrator and the Conservation Program Officer to plan and execute a summer tour of protected areas in southern Eeyou Istchee, including travel.
- Participate in environmental monitoring and cultural activities organized by Cree communities and entities within protected areas.
- Engage youth and community members in learning about Protected Areas through the creation of social media content.
- Monitor and summarize progress on completion of activities in bi-weekly reports to the Conservation Program Officer.
- Participate in hands-on environmental monitoring, cultural projects, and tourism activities
- Share with the youth their knowledge about protected areas, and what the Cree Nation Government and communities are doing to protect and take care of these places for future generations through social media.
- Develop and post communication products, using both traditional media and social media.
- Record participation in environmental and cultural events using photos or videos for use on social media platforms.
- Maintain good working relationship with staff from the Cree Nation Government, local governments, Youth Councils, Youth Chiefs and Youth Coordinators.
- Promote ongoing, effective, and open communication with the Cree youth population about protected areas and conservation initiatives in Eeyou Istchee.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills in area(s) of responsibility, including completion of training programs.
- Perform other duties as required.
- High School Diploma, vocational diploma, or graduate of Cree Trappers’ Association Eeyou Ituun program.
- One to three years of relevant work experience.
- Fluency in verbal Cree and English.
- Ability to write in English.
- Ability to write in French is considered an asset.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Friendly, outgoing, and comfortable meeting new people.
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable speaking in public.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and works well independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work within short deadlines and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Experience with various social media platforms.
- Willingness to work both in an office and in remote, wilderness settings.
- Willingness to travel frequently within Eeyou Istchee.
- Valid driver’s license
The Cree Nation Government may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the aforementioned requirements if a suitable candidate who is a JBNQA beneficiary accepts to follow a training plan determined by the Cree Nation Government as a condition of employment.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $24.51
- Max Hiring Rate $32.72
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 100
- Job Start Date Monday, June 6, 2022
- Job End Date Friday, September 2, 2022
- Chisasibi, Eeyou Istchee, QC J0M 1E0, Canada
- Eastmain, Quebec, QC J0M 1W0, Canada
- Mistissini, QC G0W 1C0, Canada
- Nemiscau, QC J0Y 3B0, Canada
- Oujé-Bougoumou, QC G0W 3C0, Canada
- Waskaganish, Fort-Rupert, QC, Canada
- Waswanipi, QC J0Y 3C0, Canada
- Wemindji, Eeyou Istchee, QC J0M 1L0, Canada
- Whapmagoostui, QC J0M 1G0, Canada