Director, Business Affairs - Nelvana
Division: Business & Legal Affairs
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Toronto, Ontario. Option to work from home/remote within Ontario with potential of onsite attendance for meeting and events.
About the Role
Nelvana Studio, (under Corus Entertainment), is currently seeking a full-time Director of Business Affairs to join their team. This position reports to the President of Nelvana. You will be overseeing the business affairs of the Studio, including negotiating options and contracts with external partners, both international and Canadian; managing the music publishing strategy; and working together with teams on new business opportunities, e.g. NFTs. You will work collaboratively with the various departments of the Studio to ensure maximum efficiency and effectiveness within the Studio’s productions.
You’ll be working on things like:
- Manage and drive deal conception, negotiation and implementation of in-bound deals with all internal and external stakeholders through to execution
- Develop, maintain and update standard deal structures/models and financial terms
- Partner with other teams (including Legal and Finance) to develop, implement and update, best practices policies, workflows and processes to drive efficiency
- Support and assist other teams in preparation of: (i) development budgets and finance plans; (ii) financial analyses and financing incentive calculations (tax credits/CMF) for advancement of development and of production greenlight processes
- Work closely with the Development Team and Rights Management to evaluate expiring option and similar rights agreements
- Responsible for actively packaging key commissionable elements (writers, talent, show-runners, directors) onto projects to make them undeniable in the marketplace
- Responsible for developing the strategy and managing the process for Music publishing and exploitation rights that maximizes revenue for Nelvana
- Partner with Enterprises Team to develop strategy for new business opportunities (e.g. NFTs, toy based digital shorts) and manage deal conception, negotiations through to contract execution
If you have the following…we want to hear from you!
- Strong understanding of inbound rights and development deal structures, customary commercial and business terms, and ranges of compensation/valuation
- Must have a demonstrated history of negotiation skills
- Understanding of production finance in the context of CPE, tax credits and CMF requirements and restrictions
- Strong understanding of music publishing and rights exploitation
- Understands and respects the role of and challenges faced by other teams and is adept at navigating the matrix of internal and external approvals, controls, requirements and timing deadlines that affects the efficiency of the work of those other teams
- Pro-active approach to relationship management with external and internal stakeholders
- Openness to ideas and opinions of others
- Relevant education in business, law or related area
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us, and our workplace pretty unique - and amazing.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family PD-Production
- Job Function 02-Media/Communications Creative & Design
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Job Start Date Monday, August 15, 2022