Web Developer, Digital Technology - Digital Technology
Division: Digital Technology
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON.
About the Role
Become a part of the highly respected Global News & Radio team as we take one of Canada’s fastest growing news sites, Globalnews.ca, to the next level. You can make a difference in the journalism of tomorrow with your contribution today in one of Canada’s leading newsrooms. Be present when local, national and international news breaks, helping the team solve real-world challenges that impact millions of unique users every month.
What you’ll do here
- Work in our agile development team to build products and features that reach new audiences and improve our user experience.
- Develop custom WordPress plugins that journalists and content producers across Canada rely on daily to produce award-winning journalism.
- Maintain and enhance custom WordPress themes that operate at scale across our network of news, radio, and entertainment websites, hosted on the WordPress VIP Go platform.
- Work with cutting edge video, ads, and analytics tools to optimize site performance and revenue generation under guidance from business and data teams.
- Be part of a diverse and forward-thinking agile scrum team committed to an inclusive work environment that fosters professional growth.
- 5+ years of professional software development experience building large-scale, enterprise-grade websites, ideally using WordPress.
- Fluent knowledge of PHP and WordPress development, with an understanding of WordPress hooks and filters, coding standards, caching and security concerns.
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Digital Technology or demonstrated industry hands-on experience.
- Solid understanding of website architecture that integrates multiple data sources, and experience working with REST APIs.
- Experience using Webpack, npm, and Git version control.
- Experience working on a scrum / agile development team.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
If you have any of the following, we want to hear from you!
- Experience with ad integration technology (e.g. Google Publisher Tags, header bidding, etc.)
- Experience with Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics, or other web analytics platforms.
- Experience with JW Player or other HTML5 video and streaming tools.
- Knowledge of Elastic Search.
- Experience developing on the WordPress VIP Go platform.
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique - and amazing - place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family NM-New Media (interactive)
- Job Function 03-Web/New Media Creative & User Interface Design
- Pay Type Salary