Director, Business Development
OmniaBio Inc, a subsidiary of Toronto-based CCRM, is a contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) producing gene-modified cell therapies and viral vectors, compliant with cGMP standards.
The facility has support from the Government of Ontario, via the Invest Ontario Fund, and is the first project to be funded through the Life Sciences Strategy. The facility will be built in phases with the ultimate goal of building the largest facility of its kind in Canada (over 350,000 sq ft). OmniaBio is Canada’s first commercial-scale CDMO dedicated to cell and gene therapies.
Located on the biomanufacturing campus at McMaster Innovation Park (Hamilton, ON), OmniaBio will catalyze life sciences careers and innovation in Canada while advancing pioneering medicine with the potential to cure, not just treat, many forms of cancer, cardiovascular diseases, Parkinson’s, and diabetes, amongst others. OmniaBio will support a broad range of cell and gene therapy companies globally, enabling pivotal/Phase III and commercial-scale manufacturing. OmniaBio will complete CCRM’s continuum of process development, clinical and commercial capabilities. CCRM is a leader in developing and commercializing regenerative medicine-based technologies, and cell and gene therapies.
OmniaBio seeks a seasoned Director Business Development with extensive experience in contract development and manufacturing (CDMO) services, ideally in the Cell and Gene Therapy (CGT) space. The Director will be driven by the opportunity to enable clinical translation in the regenerative medicine industry and by contributing significantly to the successful commercial growth and sustainability of OmniaBio. This will include playing a key role in OmniaBio’s evolution into the late stage commercial CGT CDMO space.
The Director will be responsible for the execution of OmniaBio’s business development (BD) strategy, starting with the identification of suitable prospective clients that fit OmniaBio’s capabilities, both currently and in the future. Working with the OmniaBio team, the Director will develop tailored proposals and successfully negotiate and close manufacturing agreements to achieve annual revenue objectives. The Director will report to the CBO, Chief Business Officer.
- – Rapidly expand the pipeline of prospective clients and projects that are a good fit for OmniaBio’s current process development and manufacturing capabilities. This will be accomplished through conference attendance, networking /relationship-building and alignment with an expanding digital marketing and sales prospecting strategy.
- – Work with prospective clients to develop a clear understanding of required services and lead cross-functional teams at OmniaBio to develop tailored proposals to secure new business. Proposals should adhere to OmniaBio’s pricing strategy; market and client intelligence are to be used to best position the proposals for success in highly competitive situations, including RFPs.
- – Lead contract negotiations with prospective clients to a successful conclusion, securing signatures for OmniaBio’s’s Master Services Agreement (MSA) and related Statements of Work (SOWs). This will include travel to client sites to accelerate negotiations as needed at critical junctures as well as close work with Legal throughout, balancing business and legal perspectives.
- – In alignment with OmniaBio’s Project Management team, support business relationships with signed clients to maintain client satisfaction, help resolve any major business issues that may arise, and implement cultivation strategies for repeat business. This includes managing wait-list communication with both new and existing clients as needed, given current capacity, as well as taking into account future plans for OmniaBio.
- Provide regular updates to OmniaBio’s executive and senior leadership team regarding business development progress: this includes various operational cross-functional meetings as well as contributing to the monthly Revenue Forecasting process with Finance. Adhere to appropriate utilization of OmniaBio’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform in alignment with OmniaBio’s digital sales and marketing strategy.
- – Utilizing market and management insights, help refine OmniaBio’s BD strategy, particularly in the areas of pricing and business terms negotiations, client targeting and prospecting, and marketing approach. Contribute to building the business plan and help develop the long-term client pipeline for OmniaBio, ensuring alignment of client target mix with current/ future technology platforms and capacity build plans.
- BSc required; advanced scientific degree (MSc or PhD) desirable
- 7+ years of related business experience with a proven successful track record in pharma/ biopharmaceutical corporate sales and/or contracts
- Experienced in developing, negotiating, and closing complex service proposals in highly competitive situations
- Prior contract manufacturing/vendor experience in biologics, CGT or regenerative medicine space is highly desirable
- Outstanding communication and negotiation skills, combining business acumen and creativity with relationship building strength to drive for results
- Deep understanding of CDMO manufacturing and process development contract terms and demonstrated ability to work closely with Legal to optimize and accelerate the contracting process
- Able to work closely and effectively with highly collaborative, multi-functional technical teams in a fast-paced matrix environment
- Able to identify areas for process improvement and propose, design and implement new tools and processes as needed as the organization grows and evolves
- Comfortable working nimbly in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, managing multiple changing priorities in a collaborative matrix
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally up to 50% of the time
- Must bring the highest integrity standards to the workplace
OmniaBio Inc. is a developing organization and represents a fluid working environment. Flexibility and adaptability are essential, and duties will be influenced by the needs of the organization.
OmniaBio Inc. is committed to accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, providing the applicant has met the bona fide requirements for the open position. Applicants should make their requirements known once contacted to schedule an interview, or when the job offer has been made.
- Pay Type Salary