- Disclose vaccination status during the hiring process (in a respectful and confidential manner
- Provide documentation to support vaccination status prior to a job offer
- Participate in our rapid testing program and meet our vaccination deadlines for single-dose vaccine candidates
Why work for the Town of Canmore? As one of Canada’s fastest-growing communities, we are happy to announce a new opportunity we have in our Planning & Development department. Our Planning & Development team are a dedicated and passionate group of professionals committed to building community within the magnificent Rocky Mountain environment we call home. Our planning landscape includes a unique variety of issues and considerations that fill our work with rewarding challenges. As an organization, the Town of Canmore exists to serve the community and visitors to Canmore, to support a sustainable future for all, and to ensure the most efficient and effective use of taxpayer dollars.
Position Overview: The town of Canmore is currently recruiting a Development Planners to help support the Town of Canmore’s continued growth. As one of our Planners, you will have the opportunity to lead the work on complex development applications alongside a collaborative cross-departmental team. The Development Planner position is responsible for delivering a variety of municipal planning services. You will play a critical role in community engagement, and communication on significant planning issues and projects.
The ideal candidates for this position will need to be pragmatic, have a collaborative work style, demonstrate a high degree of political acumen, and possess well developed organizational skills and conflict resolution skills to reach successful outcomes on planning issues.
- Interact on a continuous basis with the public through telephone and written inquiries as may be required to convey planning related information to citizens and other individuals and groups.
- Review, process and manage medium-density residential and non-residential development applications, re-designation, and subdivision files for compliance with Provincial and Municipal policy, regulations, and technical requirements.
- Prepare and presents reports, materials, and opinions as a representative of the Town of Canmore to various bodies, including Council, Canmore Planning Commission, Subdivision and Development Appeal Boards and public groups.
- Maintain professional affiliations and demonstrate a comprehensive current knowledge of applicable legislation, new trends and literature.
- Effectively represent the municipality in public and landowner/applicant meetings.
For a full position description, please click here.
- Post-secondary degree in urban, regional, or municipal planning.
- Active membership in the Alberta Professional Planners Institute or the Canadian Institute of Planners is required.
3 to 5 years’ experience in a municipal planning environment where you’ve handled statutory planning, subdivision, and development/building permitting.
Demonstrate excellent project management skills, particularly within complex, high profile, large-scale, or time-sensitive projects.
Possess experience presenting to small and large groups in both casual and formal settings.
Thorough understanding of rural, urban and regional planning, the applicable regulatory environment for each aspect of the planning process, implementation techniques and consultation processes.
Salary & Benefits
The starting salary range for the Development Planner position is $46.96- $49.57 per hour (dependent on education and related experience)
Competitive benefits package, & personal wellness plan
- Opportunity for hybrid work from home/office arrangements
- Generous RSP matching plan
Standard 35-hour work week & EDO-Earned Day Off program (i.e., This position works a 5-day work week earning 1 day off in a 3-week cycle
Personal development & learning opportunities
Positive work culture
- Work-Life Balance
Closing Date for Applications: This posting will remain open until the position is filled.
How to Apply: To apply, please upload your cover letter and resume (PDF or Word) and click the “Apply Now” button below. To help us learn more about you, in your cover letter please clearly detail the following:
- Why do you want to work as a Development Planner for the Town of Canmore?
- What skills, experience, and (most importantly) attitude will you bring to enhance the team and enrich our community?
Prior to receiving an offer of employment, the successful candidate will be required to submit copies of all required certifications and documentation, including driver's abstract and vulnerable sector criminal records check. The Town of Canmore wishes to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Job Family Admin
- Pay Type Hourly
- 902 7 Ave, Canmore, AB T1W 2B6, Canada