Senior Policy Planner
- Disclose vaccination status during the hiring process (in a respectful and confidential manner
- Provide documentation to support vaccination status prior to a job offer
- Participate in our rapid testing program and meet our vaccination deadlines for single-dose vaccine candidates
Why work for the Town of Canmore?
As one of Canada’s fastest-growing communities, we are happy to announce a new opportunity we have in our Planning & Development department. Our Planning & Development team are a dedicated and passionate group of professionals committed to building community within the magnificent Rocky Mountain environment we call home. Our planning landscape includes a unique variety of issues and considerations that fill our work with new challenges, and an opportunity to apply concepts and approaches that are unique to Canmore. As an organization, the Town of Canmore exists to serve the community and visitors to Canmore, to support a sustainable future for all, and to ensure the most efficient and effective use of taxpayer dollars.
The Town of Canmore is currently recruiting a Senior Policy Planner to support the town’s continued growth. The Senior Policy Planner is responsible for the development of a variety of statutory and secondary planning documents that ensures development takes place in alignment with the Town’s Municipal Development Plan and other policies and advances the community goals around planning for human use and growth management. As a senior team member, this position acts in a supervisory role for staff and provides additional oversight and mentorship of the work in the department to ensure support and achievement of strategic Planning directions as well as sustainability, affordability, and the preservation of our mountain environment
This is the perfect role for an active leader with a collaborative work style, who can translate visionary and strategic planning and development priorities into concrete policies that meets or exceeds the objectives set by the CAO and Town Council.
The Senior Planner position will be eligible for Remote Work / Hybrid Work options.
Research, analysis and reporting:
- Investigate, analyze and identify solutions to complex urban planning and policy issues.
- Develop plans, strategies and frameworks that build the capacity of local partners on a wide range of planning matters, such as climate change, housing, and main streets/downtowns.
- Design and implement engagement activities with public and stakeholder organizations such as through workshops, focus groups, advisory groups, surveys and interviews.
- Lead, facilitate and oversee the planning and execution of meetings and public and stakeholder engagement activities.
- Prepare and give presentations to clients, residents and stakeholders.
- Develop and execute project work plans, from project design to implementation.
- Manage project budgets and organize project resources to ensure deliverables meet scope, schedule, quality requirements.
- Lead and manage cross-disciplinary teams that include multiple sub-consultants and stakeholder groups.
- Manage and oversee planning staff and interns, including consultants.
- Work with communications staff to develop and design communication and outreach materials such as newsletters, websites, posters, press releases and social media content.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with local partners and stakeholders.
A full position description can be viewed here.
- Graduate or bachelor’s degree in planning or a related field – required
- Full membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners or equivalent - require
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible and varied planning experience – required (3-5 years in the development of planning policy)
- Strong communication skills – demonstrated listening, negotiation, written and oral abilities; specifically, the ability to clearly articulate and transform complex ideas into clear narratives – required
- Experience presenting and facilitating meetings with council, public, community engagement and stakeholder groups – required
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills, including MS Office Suite, basic mapping/GIS – required
- Demonstrated progression of responsibility, including direct supervision of staff and/or consultants – preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work in a customer-oriented and collaborative teamwork environment – required
- Analyzes and solves problems systematically – required
- Organizational habits to understand, realistically plan for and meet deadlines, while adapting to changing demands and priorities – required
Salary & Benefits
- Salary Range- $98,607.60 – $109,564.00 per year
- Remote Work/Hybrid Work Eligible Position
- Competitive Salary, benefits package, & personal wellness plan
- Generous RSP matching plan
- EDO-Earned Day Off program
- Personal development & learning opportunities
- Positive work culture
- Work-Life Balance
Closing Date for Applications: This posting will remain open until filled
How to Apply: To apply, please combine your cover letter and resume into a single document (PDF or Word) and click the “Apply Now” button be
To help us learn more about you, in your cover letter please clearly detail the following:
- Why do you want to work as a Senior Planner for the Town of Canmore?
- What skills, experience, and (most importantly) attitude will you bring to enhance the team and enrich our community?
The Town of Canmore is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, colour, race, gender, ancestry, ethnic origin, disability or sexual orientation. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing
accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prior to beginning work, the successful candidate will be required to submit all required certifications and
documentation, including driver`s abstract and records checks. The Town of Canmore wishes to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Job Family Supervisors
- Pay Type Salary
- Employment Indicator Supervisor
- Min Hiring Rate $98,607.60
- Max Hiring Rate $104,085.80
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- 902 7 Ave, Canmore, AB T1W 2B6, Canada