Global Shipping Specialist
Location: ALS Geochemistry, North Vancouver
Reports to: Manager, Sample Preparation & Warehousing Operations Vancouver
About the Position:
In conjunction with the Manager, this position is responsible for handling all aspects of Global Shipping and receiving of materials, supplies, and samples.
• Organize and handle all aspects of global shipping, receiving, storage, container pickup at ports and handle ALS brokers, ocean shipment suppliers and get quotes on behalf of ALS.
• Develop and maintain procedure manuals for Global shipping and receiving.
• Ensure all International shipments are scheduled and completed without any delays, and timely follow-up on all queries and questions.
• Oversee the selection and scheduling of carriers to ensure on-time delivery of all shipments using the most efficient and cost-effective methods.
• Maintain international shipping & receiving and storage records for company goods and supplies and ensure necessary invoices and paperwork are forwarded to the accounting department in a timely manner.
• Ensure receiving records are complete and accurate.
• Ensure incoming shipments are delivered to the proper departments in a timely manner.
• Prepare packaging for outgoing shipments while ensuring proper protection of goods.
• Work closely with purchasing and client services departments to handle all international shipments in a timely manner.
• Work in conjunction with the Quality and Safety department to coordinate quality and safety audits as required.
• Proper handling of dangerous goods and TDG certification.
• Responsible for preparing and maintaining all department specific documentation, including ISO documentation, receiving records, customs documentation, and import/export information.
• Actively identifies cost-saving and waste reduction opportunities.
• Provide guidance to domestic and international shipping rules and regulations, including any pertinent paperwork required;
• Provide international shipping assistance to other ALS labs.
• Train staff to ensure backup coverage is in place for effective and seamless operation.
• Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality.
• Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Excellent English communication skills both written and verbal;
• Fluency in French or Spanish is an asset;
• Strong customer service focus;
• Demonstrated judgment, creativity, integrity, and ability to problem solve;
• Excellent prioritization skills under minimal guidance and supervision;
• Ability to effectively handle escalations and time critical issues;
• Good understanding of computer applications such as Excel and Access;
• Ability to work within a team environment;
• Ability to work within a fast-paced, high volume environment;
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• College Diploma or university degree in Business Administration, Operations Management, Logistics, International Trade, and Transportation or equivalent related work experience preferred;
• Valid Provincial Class 5 driver’s license with clean driving history (abstract required);
• Forklift license and experience operating a forklift an asset (on-site certification will be required);
• Minimum two years of supervisory experience in a Shipping and receiving;
• Good knowledge of Health & Safety including OH&S legislation;
• Knowledge and understanding of International Customs compliance and NAFTA shipping regulations.
• Frequently lifting up to 50lbs bags or boxes;
• Extensive walking or movement, bending, kneeling, working around machines pallets and reject bins;
• Ability to sit and/or stand for up to 7.5 hours per shift;
• Manual dexterity to perform repetitive tasks;
• Comfortable in environments with high dust and noise levels.
• Please note that ALS operates 24/7 and will require day, afternoon, and graveyard shift work including weekends.
Interested candidates can apply until July 8, 2022.