Health, Safety and Environment Coordinator
At Valens, we believe in creating products for those who need them. We do things the right way without ever cutting corners. Whether it’s medical or recreational, local, or international, we’re pursuing meaningful extraction, formulation, product development and testing to bring purposeful cannabis to the people.
We each have our unique story, but we have a common goal of creating exceptional products with the end user in mind. We celebrate team wins, big and small, by recognizing the role that everyone has played in it. It is about growing together, learning together and making a positive difference.
AT VALENS, IT’S PERSONAL.
- Don’t miss this opportunity to help build and shape the growing cannabis industry!
- Live, work and play in the sunny Okanagan where nature is at your doorstep.
- Immerse yourself in an environment where championing the individual is not just a motto, it is a daily practice and how we succeed as a team.
Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, the Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Coordinator is responsible for facilitating compliance with health, safety and environmental regulations and guidelines. Their main goal will be to always ensure a safe working environment and prevent injuries and accidents from happening. The HSE Coordinator will work with the three facilities, located in British Columbia and Ontario, to promote a positive safety culture by reviewing, maintaining and improving the Health, Safety and Environment program in collaboration with the local Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee (JOHSC) members. The individual will take ownership of everything that is safety related, including but not limited to assessing and implementing safety protocols, reviewing policies and procedures, handling all Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) and WorkSafeBC related matters from end to end, and being an active member of committees and teams.
As an HSE Coordinator you will:
- Manage and monitor safety program to ensure compliance with regulations
- Develop and implement effective Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) policies and guidelines for employees to follow
- Conduct risk assessment and enforce preventative measures on an ongoing basis
- Prepare and present reports on incidents and investigate causes for prevention purposes
- Take lead in WorkSafeBC and WSIB claims and manage all aspects of claims management
- Collaborate with Operations teams to develop and maintain industry-specific accreditations and certifications (i.e. COR)
- Provide advice to management and employees on safety-related topics
- Prepare and deliver safety training, educational materials and seminars/webinars
As HSE Coordinator you bring:
- 5-7 years of prior experience in the field of health, safety and environment
- Degree or diploma in an HSE or OH&S program
- NCSO/MSO designation as a minimum; CRSP preferred
- Experience managing and monitoring a safety program in multiple facilities in different provincial jurisdictions
- Recent experience working in a manufacturing setting
- A strong understanding of OH &S provincial legislation pertaining to WorkSafeBC and WSIB
- Experience handling WorkSafe BC/ WSIB claims
- Occupational hygiene related issue resolution considered an asset
- Exemplary verbal and written English skills, with strong analytical and communication skills
- Ability to effectively manage time, responsibilities, and priorities
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Committed to continuous improvement and fostering a culture of safety
- All successful candidates are required to pass background checks
As a valued member of the Valens team, you will enjoy:
- Competitive total compensation and incentives
- A top-notch extended benefits package including medical, vision and dental
- An entrepreneurial and innovative environment that fosters growth and continuous learning
We are grateful for the interest in this role from all candidates, however, we will be contacting only those that are selected for next steps in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
The Valens Company is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a welcoming, inclusive, diverse, and safe workplace where all of our team members have equal opportunity to succeed. We know this begins with recruitment. To honor our commitment, Valens encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, ages, and abilities.
Please note that The Valens Company does not utilize social media to hire employees, nor does it ever charge fees to candidates at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. When replying to emails, please ensure the sender name and email address match exactly and the address ends in @thevalenscompany.com. If you are concerned about the authenticity of an email, letter, or call from, for, or on behalf of The Valens Company, please send an email inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Valens Company, 230 Carion Rd, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada